The NWFE program includes nine priority projects in the water, food, and energy sectors selected from the National Climate Change Strategy 2050.
Sustainable transportation projects were later added to the program, transforming it into the NWFE+ program.
The NWFE+ thus came to light with the participation of national authorities and relevant parties.
The program aims to mobilize investments worth $14.7 billion to implement nine projects in mitigation and adaptation to climate change in the water, food, and energy sectors.
Here is a breakdown of what the program has achieved in a year in its fifth pillar:
- To implement a water desalination project using renewable energy.
- To expand irrigation systems with solar energy (scaling up solar pumping for irrigation).
- To secure advisory and technical support for feasibility studies from AfDB (African Development Bank) and the Arab Fund.
- The program obtained advisory and technical assistance for water desalination and solar pumping projects from AfDB and the Arab Fund.
2- Food Pillar
- To stimulate private sector involvement in agriculture and irrigation projects.
- To complete technical designs for the following projects:
- Climate Resilient Agri-Food Transformation (CRAFT)
- Climate Resilient on Farm Water in the Nile Valley (CROWN)
- Adaptation projects supported by IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development), World Bank, EU, and EIB (European Investment Bank).
- The program completed the technical qualifications for the mentioned projects and provided technical support in cooperation with development partners.
3- Energy Pillar:
- To shut down 5 GWs of ineffective power generation capacity.
- To Install 10 GWs of new renewable energy capacity.
- To strengthen national grid infrastructure.
- To increase renewable energy percentage to 42 percent by 2030 (debt swap agreement signed).
- Identified stations for shutdown and secured grants for the process.
- Signed agreements for 3.7 GWs of renewable energy capacity and reached financial closure with development partner funds.
- Received €314 million in financing for national grid investments.
- Signed a €54 million debt swap agreement for network strengthening.
4- Transport Pillar:
- To extend Cairo Metro Line 1 from El-Marg to Shibin Al-Qanatir, adding 12 stations and 19 kilometres to the line.
- To transform Alexandria Abu Qir railways into an eclectic subway project.
- To develop the Tanta-Damietta railway line.
- To establish the Robeiky - 10th of Ramadan and the 10th of Ramadan - Belbeis