The Egyptian healthcare system is pluralistic, consisting of both public and private sectors. The Ministry of Health and Population governs the health system in Egypt, which is divided into five sectors: administration, curative health services, population and family planning, preventative health services, and finance.
Egypt's 2014 push: Universal health and better care
Egypt adopted a new constitution in 2014, which strongly addresses health as a fundamental human right and is committed to expanding coverage and access to quality services for all Egyptians. The progress towards universal health coverage is motivated by the recent approval of the Social Health Insurance, which will ensure adequate and sustainable funding for health and intends to reduce out-of-pocket expenditures. Egypt's health indicators have improved significantly since 1960, with a health profile that is increasingly similar to developed countries.
Egypt's health evolution: From 872 AD to modern care
The first hospital in Egypt was built in the southwestern quarter of present-day Cairo in 872. Today Egypt has a mix of public and private hospitals, with the private sector providing a higher standard of care. Some of the most renowned hospitals being Misr International Hospital, Dar Al Fouad Hospital, Andalusia Hospital Al Maadi, As-Salam International Hospital, and Saudi German Hospital.
The private hospitals in Egypt are well-equipped and offer a range of medical services that meet international standards.. Some of the largest and most advanced hospitals in Egypt include Arab Contractors Hospital, Aseel Medical Care Hospital, and Nile Hospital – Hurghada.
Egypt's pharma: 90% local drugs, leading the market
With more than 100 pharmaceutical companies operating in the country, Egypt has a dynamic local manufacturing sector. These pharmaceutical companies produce a wide range of products including generic drugs, branded generics, and over-the-counter (OTC) products. About nine in ten drugs consumed in the country are produced locally. According to IQVIA, local companies account for 56 percent of the market in terms of sales, leaving multinationals with 44 percent of the pie. Egypt boasts a skilled labor force and expertise in pharmaceutical manufacturing, which are vital to realizing its ambitions.
Egypt, in collaboration with a Japanese firm, is on the brink of establishing its first blood bag manufacturing facility. This venture involves key players like Holdipharma and the Egyptian Unified Procurement Authority (UPA). Targeting local demands and expansion plans to Africa and Arab countries, the facility resonates with Egypt's drive towards manufacturing, tech transfer, and industry localization.
Gennvax Egypt has secured a golden license to inaugurate the nation's premier pharmaceutical and vaccine factory, located in the new industrial zone of the Suez Canal. With an investment of $150 million, the facility promises to create 500-700 jobs, focusing on meeting international standards and obtaining WHO PQ vaccine export approvals.
Notably, Alexandria Company for Pharmaceuticals reported a 19.6% YoY increase in its net profits. Simultaneously, Ibnsina Pharma, leading the drug distribution landscape in 2023, witnessed a 22.18% YoY boost in its Q1 2023 net profit.
Egypt ranks 14th globally in medical tourism
Egypt is a growing hub for medical tourism, known for its mineral-rich environment and top-notch medical facilities. Ranked 14th globally, the nation is enhancing its infrastructure for easier tourist mobility. Egypt is now positioning itself as a top destination for medical tourism. With its wealth of natural healing resources, including mineral water springs, sulfur water baths, and hot sand, Egypt offers a unique blend of traditional and alternative therapies. Predicted to boom in the upcoming decade, Egypt offers diverse medical services, from cosmetic surgery to organ transplants. Notable destinations include Aswan and Dakrour mountain, renowned for its therapeutic climate.