Marketing-Börse PLUS - Fachbeiträge zu Marketing und Digitalisierung
print logo

The top 5 banks in Egypt in terms of safety

The safety and reliability of banks are of paramount importance to both consumers and investors, especially in a climate of shifting dynamics.
© Unsplash

Egypt's banking sector plays a pivotal role in the economic framework of the country, navigating through periods of economic instability and political upheaval. The safety and reliability of banks are of paramount importance to both consumers and investors, especially in a climate where the country's economic policies and geopolitical issues influence market dynamics. In this article, we explore the top banks in Egypt renowned for their stability and safety.

1. National Bank of Egypt (NBE)

The National Bank of Egypt stands as the most secure bank in the nation and ranks impressively in Africa. Established in 1898, NBE is not only one of Egypt's oldest commercial banks but also its largest. As of late 2022, the bank boasted a financial stronghold with total assets comprising 38.6% of the entire banking sector's assets in Egypt, valued at approximately EGP 4.4 trillion. This state-owned entity has demonstrated consistent financial health and stability, making it a top choice for safety-conscious depositors.

2. Banque Misr

Banque Misr follows closely, positioned as Egypt's second-largest bank. It manages assets around $120 billion and operates an extensive network with over 800 branches nationwide. Serving more than 13 million clients, this bank employs about 20,000 individuals, underscoring its substantial role in Egypt’s banking industry. Like NBE, Banque Misr is government-owned, providing it with a robust financial backing and a reputable standing in the market.

3. Commercial International Bank (CIB)

As Egypt’s third-largest bank and the largest in the private sector, CIB holds a significant 6% share of the banking assets. It originated in 1975 as a joint venture between Chase National Bank and NBE. Although Chase divested its stake in 1987, CIB has grown to attract substantial investments, including from Abu Dhabi’s sovereign wealth fund. Its public listing and diverse shareholder base contribute to its robust financial profile and operational transparency.

4. Banque du Caire

Ranking as the sixth-largest bank in Egypt, Banque du Caire serves over 3 million customers. Although it scores slightly lower due to being rated by only two of the three major global rating agencies, its affiliation with Banque Misr as a parent company lends it considerable stability and state support.

5. AlexBank

Bank of Alexandria commands a significant presence, catering to more than 1.8 million customers. While 80% owned by the Italian banking giant Intesa Sanpaolo, the remaining 20% is held by the Egyptian government. Its lower safety score can be attributed to evaluations from only one major rating agency, yet its substantial international backing and state ownership suggest a reliable banking option.


The rankings of these banks reflect their financial stability, government backing, and adherence to regulatory standards, critical factors given Egypt's complex economic landscape marked by recent currency reforms and financial aid from global entities like the IMF. Investors and customers looking for security in their banking choices would do well to consider these institutions.

This analysis was inspired by data from Global Finance's Safest Bank rankings and updated financial data, ensuring a current and relevant evaluation of each bank’s stability and security.