Department: Whole College
Reports to: Headmaster
Must liaise with: Head of Primary, Head of Secondary, Teaching Colleagues, Head of AEN, Head of EAL
Effective Date: August 2016
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Job Type: Full-Time
The Director of Music/Performing Arts has the overall responsibility for the leadership, development and ongoing
review of Music and the Performing Arts for all students at The College:
• Coordination of College Music Curriculum
• Leadership of all Extra Curricular Music
• Coordination of Extra Curricular events
• Line management of Instrumental Programme Teachers
• Line manage Music Administration staff
• Lead and organise public performance opportunities for student, staff and visiting artists
Organisation, Leadership, Management
• Leadership and management of the College Music Curriculum
• Leadership and management of the department, including chairing regular meetings to discuss subject issues, which include matters arising from HOD Meetings and general staff meetings.
• Management and responsibility for the department development plan.
• Preparation of department annual curriculum review and examination performance review.
• Management of assessment, recording and reporting procedures.
• Oversight of proof reading and quality assurance of subject comments in school reports.
• Assisting the Deputy Heads of Schools responsible for staff absence/cover to ensure work is set for classes.
• Management of the preparation of assessment materials for assessment weeks (internal), quality assurance of the tasks and ensuring that moderation is used to establish consistency.
• Management of the department budget and resources, including the annual department stock take. • Management and supervision of allocated department Assistants, where appropriate.
• Liaison with the Health and Safety Officer to ensure that all departmental learning environments meet our health and safety guidelines.
• Oversee the College Instrumental Programme. Curriculum
• Responsibility for the quality assurance of learning and teaching, to ensure that each individual student makes progress against their potential.
• Management of agreed strategies for improvement in learning and teaching within the department.
• Responsibility for the organization and quality assurance of sequential and integrated Schemes of Work for the department.
• Assisting the Heads of Schools in curriculum reviews and development in line with College policy. Student Support • Responsibility for student progress and welfare in the subject. • Oversight of the department setting of the student homework timetable.
• Promotion of the subject in options selections for IGCSE/GCSE/IB so that students are fully informed. • Management of coursework in the department to ensure compliance with examination board regulations. • Management of target setting procedures.
• Oversight of the department response to pastoral policies. External Relations
• Promoting a positive image of the subject in the wider community through performance and promotion of music opportunities
• Production and annual review of the department handbook in line with agreed guidelines.
• Contacting and liaising with parents on subject matters.
• Liaising with internal and external agencies where appropriate. • Communicating to appropriate staff any relevant information concerning the subject.
• Agreed regular contributions to the Newsletter.
• Assistance in Parent Forums as required.
• Development of the College website in conjunction with the marketing department to promote/inform about the subject. Co curricular
• Assisting in the hiring of new staff in the subject area as required.
• Overseeing the learning environment including displays of work.
• Development of appropriate cross and vertical curricular links throughout the College.
• Developing and supporting the department contribution to the co-curricular life of the school.
• Organisation of subject academic prizewinners for Speech Day.
• Planning the induction of new staff to the department, and liaising with them post appointment prior to the new academic year.
• Promoting Professional Learning and CPD in line with College policy.
• Advising on annual staffing needs, after due consultation with department members.
• Management of Staff appraisal procedures, in line with College policy. To undertake any other duties as requested by the Headmaster or members of the College Leadership Team.
Department: Whole College